U Visa Attorney Van Nuys

U Visa For Victims of Crime

For victims of specific crimes who have experienced mental or physical abuse and who can aid law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activities, the U nonimmigrant status (U visa) is reserved. U visa by design is meant to encourage victims of crime committed on US soil, to help the local law enforcement agencies investigate and prosecute the perpetrator, without having the fear in mind of being deported. Cases of crime that the U visa covers range from domestic violence, sexual assault, trafficking of noncitizens, felony assault, stalking and other crimes. It also protects and helps the victims who have suffered substantial mental or physical abuse due to the crime, and are in serious need of help. If you are someone who has been subjected to abuse within the geographical limitations of the USA, obtain a U visa with assistance from our U visa attorney in Van Nuys.

Immigration Attorney For U Visa
Immigration Attorneys For U Visa Protecting Victims Of Abuse

Questions like “how do I show that I am a victim of a crime”, or that “I have suffered substantial harm”, or “how can I be of help to the law enforcement.” These can be difficult to answer and need the help of an expert to answer properly, improving your success to obtain a U visa. Such an expert that can help with U visas for victims of crime can be found at the law offices of Hussain & Gutierrez that can guide you through your status to immigration in the United States of America. Call us at 888-997-3701 or email the firm to meet your prospective U visa lawyer.

Eligibility Requirements For A U Visa

An immigration attorney for a U visa can help you prove your eligibility. That said, you may be eligible for a U nonimmigrant visa if:

  • You have experienced a qualifying criminal conduct (see below)
  • You were a victim of criminal behavior, which resulted in severe physical or mental abuse
  • You have information about the criminal activity. If you are under the age of 16 or unable to provide information due to a disability, a parent, guardian, or next friend may possess the information about the crime on your behalf
  • You assisted law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime in some way, whether it be in the past, present, or in the future
  • The crime took place in the US or was illegal under US law

Also, you must show that:

  • You suffered substantial physical or mental harm from the crime.
  • None of the grounds of inadmissibility applies to you. “Grounds of Inadmissibility” are an extensive list of crimes and other acts that prevent people from getting status or entering the US. If one of the grounds of inadmissibility applies to you, you must ask for a “waiver” in order to be able to qualify for a U visa. It is up to US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to decide whether you should get that waiver after weighing the pros and cons of your case.

Qualifying Criminal Activities

  • Abduction
  • Abusive Sexual Contact
  • Blackmail
  • Domestic Violence
  • Extortion
  • False Imprisonment
  • Female Genital Mutilation
  • Felonious Assault
  • Fraud in Foreign Labor Contracting
  • Hostage
  • Incest
  • Involuntary Servitude
  • Kidnapping
  • Manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Obstruction of Justice
  • Peonage
  • Perjury
  • Prostitution
  • Rape
  • Sexual Assault
  • Sexual Exploitation
  • Slave Trade
  • Stalking
  • Torture
  • Trafficking
  • Witness Tampering
  • Unlawful Criminal Restraint

You can also have been a part of a crime related to one of the ones listed above. However, merely becoming a victim of one of these crimes does not automatically make you eligible. You must adhere to the other conditions. Without assistance from a U visa attorney, it can become incredibly difficult to obtain it. Law Offices of Hussain & Gutierrez provide you with the best U visa attorney near you. Schedule a free case evaluation to see if you qualify for this or some other route to your immigration status.

Can I Bring My Family As Well

You can also apply for "Derivative" U visas for certain of your immediate family members with the help of a U visa attorney in Van Nuys, provided that you are or were a crime victim.

Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 may be included if you are above 21. You can include your spouse, unmarried children, parents, and unmarried siblings under the age of 21 if you are under 21. You can still list your new spouse as a derivative even if you applied for your U visa before getting married. You can also include your new spouse's children if they were younger than 18 when you got married.

It is not necessary for your family members to have law enforcement credentials or to have been criminal victims. However, they must demonstrate that the "Grounds of Inadmissibility" do not prevent (bar) them from obtaining status, as we discussed above. Your family members will be granted U visa status for four years if USCIS approves their applications for U visas and they are already present in the country. Additionally, they will be given a four-year work permit. After three years, they can apply for lawful permanent residence. If your family members are abroad when the government confirms their U visas, they will need to obtain visas from a US embassy or consulate in order to enter the country. They can submit an application for a four-year work permit once they arrive in the country. They are eligible to seek legal permanent residency three years after entering.

Importantly, you would not want to file for lawful permanent residence after receiving your U visa until all the family members you want to include have received their U visas and have arrived in the United States if they haven't already. They will lose their capacity to obtain U visas if you become a permanent resident before their U visas are approved or before they arrive. If you are concerned that your U visa status may expire before all of your family members have arrived, you should talk to a U visa attorney to see if you can extend your U visa status beyond the normal four years until your family gets to the US on their own U visas and then you can apply for lawful permanent residence.

Immigration Law Firm Van Nuys

Offering Legal Representation To Victims Of Crime

You do not need to leave this country if you’ve been a victim of crime. The U visa is an opportunity to stay in the nation while assisting law enforcement to ensure that you receive the justice you are due. You can get assistance from the Law Offices of Hussain & Gutierrez. 

It is not unheard of for people to take advantage of legal immigrants because they believe their victims cannot go to the police. Do not let someone take advantage of you in this way. Not only are you protected by the law, but you may also even be eligible for a green card after you obtain a U Visa. If you would like to set up a consultation to talk about your issue, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our U Visa Attorney in Van Nuys. Allow us to assist you in obtaining a U visa so you can continue to live in the country and assist law enforcement in preventing future crimes against others.

Top Immigration Law Firms In Van Nuys

Have a question? Ask our U visa attorney

Possible, After submitting an application for a U visa, it will take you years to obtain a work permit. In the event that you are granted U visa status, you will be issued a four-year work permit right away. In exceptional circumstances, the U visa status may be extended past the four-year mark, but only if additional time is required due to “exceptional circumstances” or if the certifying agency issues a fresh certification specifically stating that your presence in the US is still necessary after the four years to aid in the investigation or prosecution of the crime.

Victims of abuse who are not citizens are protected by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). In general, a VAWA visa enables abuse victims who are not citizens of the United States to obtain lawful permanent citizenship without their abuser having to petition on their behalf. VAWA is specifically designed for victims of domestic violence.

You might still qualify under “Other Related Crimes.” For guidance if your crime qualifies for a U Visa, it is imperative to consult and proceed with an immigration attorney for U Visa. In order to have the best chance of getting the justice that you deserve.

Yes.  You are qualified to apply for a green card after holding a U-Visa for three years.

Line speed and safety in the poultry processing industry

One industry that can see some fairly severe workplace injuries is the poultry processing industry. So, a poultry worker’s life can be greatly impacted when they are subjected to an…

Can workplace noise have psychological consequences?

As you are aware, loud noises can damage your hearing, as well as cause other physical problems, such as tinnitus and migraines. However, you and other Californians may not realize…

How can a brain injury affect your life?

When California workers like you suffer from brain injuries while on the job, we at the Law Offices of Hussain & Gutierrez provide you with what you need to know to gain…