Citizenship And Naturalization Attorney Van Nuys

Naturalization & Citizenship

Lots of people want to come to America. As a United States citizen, your new rights will include the ability to vote, obtain public office and government jobs, and avoid deportation. A non-citizen can convert to a US citizen through the naturalization procedure if they have lived in the country legally for at least five years. That said, it can be difficult to determine whether you satisfy the legal requirements to become a citizen. 

Having someone by your side can make the naturalization process go much more smoothly. At the Law Offices of Hussain & Gutierrez, we will answer all of your immigration questions and work hard to help you obtain your citizenship. An immigrant himself, attorney Fakhrudeen Hussain understands what you are experiencing. With the help of our knowledgeable citizenship and naturalization attorney in Van Nuys, we are ready to help you get where you want to be.

Citizenship And Naturalization Attorney
Looking to get naturalized? Here’s what to do

Immigration regulations in the United States are subject to ongoing change. The laws that were in place when you entered the country and registered as an immigrant will frequently continue to govern your immigration. Fakhrudeen Hussain, our immigration and naturalization lawyer, has more than 10 years of legal experience. With the help of our team’s in-depth understanding of both old and new immigration laws, we can help you identify the factors that will influence your citizenship application.

Eligibility for Naturalization

Naturalization is the procedure by which foreign nationals can become citizens of the United States. A green card must be obtained before you may begin the naturalization procedure. You can begin to investigate your eligibility for citizenship if you have held a green card for three to five years.

The general prerequisites to naturalize and become a full citizen of the United States are:

  • Be 18 years of age
  • Be able to pass an English test (with some exceptions)
  • Be able to pass a test on US civics and history (with some exceptions)
  • Be a green card holder for a certain number of years before filing the naturalization application.
  • Be a lawful permanent resident for at least five years
  • Be a lawful permanent resident who has been married to and living with a US citizen for at least three years
  • Have been physically present in the US on a continual basis
  • Have been physically present in the US for the majority of the statutory period (i.e., the years as a green card holder)
  • Have been a person of good moral character
  • Have lived in the US and the state from which you file your naturalization application for at least three months before filing
  • Support the Constitution and form of government of the United States

On paper, these standards look rather straightforward. Some of the most frequent grounds for rejecting naturalization requests for citizenship is having spent an excessive amount of time outside the country while being a permanent resident, having an active criminal case or having been found guilty of certain crimes that disqualify one from citizenship, failing to properly file US taxes, or failing to register for the selective service. This is another instance where a competent naturalization lawyer can be of huge help.

Routes to Naturalization

There are four main ways to become a citizen of the United States if you are an immigrant living here. Here are the four routes to citizenship:

  • Naturalization through green card
  • Foreigners with a green card are eligible to apply for naturalization after five years.
  • Naturalization through marriage
  • Non-citizens married to American citizens can apply for naturalization provided that they have been in a marital union with them for at least 3 years.
  • Naturalization through military
  • Non-citizen army personnels can apply for naturalization after serving the country for a year.
  • Naturalization through parents
  • A child born to US citizens acquires naturalization as a birthright.

Form N-400 vs N-600

Legally residing foreign nationals are aware of how challenging it can be to complete paperwork for the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). For instance, Forms N-400 and N-600 could seem alike.

  • Form N-400 helps you become a US citizen
  • Form N-600 helps you get a certificate that proves you became a US citizen as a child through a parent’s citizenship

Filing for Naturalization

Filing Your Form N-400 Online - You must create a USCIS online account to file your Form N-400 online. Having an online account will also allow you to:

  • Online filing fee payment
  • Verify the progress of your case
  • Obtain notifications and situation updates
  • View your own estimated case completion date
  • In response to requests for proof
  • Maintain your contact information, and make sure your address is up to date

Filing Your Form N-400 by Mail - USCIS will issue you an account Acceptance Notice with instructions on how to set up an online account to track and manage your case if you submit Form N-400 on paper.

We encourage you to create and use your online account, but we will still process your application even if you choose not to. We'll keep sending copies of your case alerts through mail.

Immigration Law Firm Van Nuys

Naturalization & Citizenship Lawyers In Van Nuys helping you live your dream

It can be difficult and time-consuming to become a citizen of the United States: It’s crucial to get in touch with a qualified immigration lawyer for naturalization who can ensure your rights are upheld if you or a loved one wants to convert from a green card holder to a citizen. Our lawyer has personally gone through the U.S. immigration and citizenship application process. We understand your concerns and will work hard to answer any questions you may have and complete the application process with you quickly and efficiently. 

All candidates for citizenship must exhibit moral rectitude and a patriotic outlook toward the United States. For some applicants, such as spouses of US citizens and people with physical or mental disabilities, the other naturalization requirements may be changed or waived. A Van Nuys naturalization lawyer can assist you in this process.

Top Immigration Law Firms In Van Nuys

Have A Question? Ask Our Van Nuys Naturalization Attorney

Yes. A complete set of the civics test questions for the years 2008 and 2020 is published by USCIS. To help you prepare, find free study materials for the civics test from 2008, the English language test from 2008, the civics test from 2020, and more. These are the only questions that will be asked. 

No. However, some responses could change due to appointments or elections. Make sure you are familiar with the most recent responses to these questions as you study for the exam. To get the solutions to these specific questions, go to the Civics Test Updates page on the USCIS website.

Before completing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, candidates must typically show they have continuously resided in the United States for at least five years in order to be eligible for citizenship. This means that you must only be a resident of the United States and not of any other nation. If there are no other legal obstacles in your way, you are free to travel anywhere, including your own country. But if a journey lasts more than 180 days, USCIS can conclude that you haven’t lived here consistently and are ineligible for naturalization.

Yes. To your interview, you should bring a few original documents. Depending on the circumstances, USCIS gives a long list of examples of original documents that you should bring to the interview in the instructions to Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, such as Original birth, marriage, divorce, final adoption, and naturalization certificates; court orders; proof of child support payments; arrest reports with court certification; and probation/parole records. There are some documents that can also be delivered in certified copies.

You will have two chances to complete the English and civics requirements, unless you qualify for a waiver of either one. If you fail any of these requirements, you will be retested between 60 and 90 days after the date of your initial interview on the section of the test (English or civics) that you failed.

Line speed and safety in the poultry processing industry

One industry that can see some fairly severe workplace injuries is the poultry processing industry. So, a poultry worker’s life can be greatly impacted when they are subjected to an…

Can workplace noise have psychological consequences?

As you are aware, loud noises can damage your hearing, as well as cause other physical problems, such as tinnitus and migraines. However, you and other Californians may not realize…

How can a brain injury affect your life?

When California workers like you suffer from brain injuries while on the job, we at the Law Offices of Hussain & Gutierrez provide you with what you need to know to gain…